Address: Staroměstské náměstí 4/1, Praha 1
Year: first mentioned in 1404 / renovated in 1623
Architects: Jan Dominik de Barifis (assumed)
The House at the Golden Horn (also known as The Pecold House) is situated on the corner between the Old Town Square and the Little Square replacing two middle age Romanesque townhouses. The basement and a part of the peripheral structures from the former townhouse located on the north side were preserved in the year 1404. In 1623, both of the houses were joined together forming an expanded and substantially reconstructed, built in the late Renaissance style. The reputable architect of The House at the Golden Horn is Jan Dominik de Barifis, who was also the builder of the Lutheran St. Salvator’s Church. The interiors and the windows were renovated in the Baroque style during the first half of the 18th century. In the beginning of the 19th century, Franz Anton Heger rebuilt the house in the Classicist style. In addition to the façade, the disposition of the interiors had changed, a new staircase was built, the arcade was walled up and transformed into small shops and workshops. Another renovation occurred in 1938 where the arcade was renewed and the interiors of the house were modernized. The house is now a cultural heritage and a seat of the Scout Institute.