Address: Winston Churchill Sq. 1800/2, Prague 3-Žižkov
Architects: Josef Havlíček and Karel Honzík
The monumental Functionalist building of the former General Pension Institute is one of the most significant buildings from the period of the First Czechoslovak Republic that have gained global appreciation. Many of the elements used were very progressive at the time, such as the metal construction of the windows and the façade’s cladding made of ceramic blocks provided by Rako company. Thanks to the blocks, the building has earned the nickname “kachlíkárna” (literally “tile house”) among people. As the very first building in Czechoslovakia, it was equipped with air-conditioning from American brand Carrier. In 1951, the building was handed over to Czechoslovak trade unions. The new owner now plans for the building to have residential purposes while intending to maintain its historical atmosphere, which can be sensed in every detail.