New Ceremony Hall in Olšany Cemeteries

chapel

Saturday, Sunday 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Photos: Tomáš Sysel, Oldřiška Dvořáčková

Transport: bus / tram / metro (Želivského)
Visiting Method: free entry
bezbariérový přístup

Address: Vinohradská 949/157, Praha 3-Žižkov
Year: 1898, 1921; 2017–2018 (restoration)
Architects: František Velich; František Xaver Nevole (rebuilding)

The idea of cremation had been resonating with Czech lands since the beginning of the 19th century. The first crematorium in Europe was opened in Milan in 1876. But not many people know that it was the very ceremony hall in Olšany that became the first crematorium on the grounds of Czechoslovakia in 1921. Its creation resulted from a reconstruction of the original Neo-Renaissance building, and its use was only temporary. It was in operation until 1932, when a new and modern crematorium was opened in Strašnice. After another reconstruction, which was finished in 2018, the building was successfully given back its original appearance, which you can come take a look at in all its glory, including a replica of the tower or the restored original appearance.