Address: Salvátorská 931/8 Praha 1-Staré Město
Year: 1909–1911; 2016 (restoration)
Architects: Otakar Novotný; Mária Maninová and atelier MAAT (restoration), Petr Hanousek, Noro Gáfrik
In the beginning of the 20th century, Jan Štenc, the owner of the largest printing company in Central Europe, decided to build a house that would serve both as a family residence and as the company’s new seat. To do this, he used an estate in the Old Town (behind the St. Salvator Church) that had just become available as a result of the rehabilitation of the original house. The Young architect Otakar Novotný managed to fulfil the investor’s wishes completely when he designed a modern house with an unplastered brick façade. This distinguishes the house from the surrounding buildings, which were built in the spirit of historic styles. Come see the place where key literary works of Czech history were printed. The best artists and important figures of culture at the time used to meet up there as well; these included Max Švabinský, Jan Štursa, or Jan Kotěra. Today, 100 years later, the recently renovated house follows the tradition of a meeting place because it houses a coworking space, which pulsates with life and creativity.